In this episode, Sarah Tenisi speaks with Emily Perry, PhD. She is the Senior Education Program Manager at QuillBot, a company focused on developing state-of-the-art AI-based writing and research tools to make writing painless. Emily goes in-depth into how AI is transforming educational writing.
She and Sarah kick off the episode defining what AI is (and isn’t) and addressing AI skepticism before dedicating the latter part of the conversation on how QuillBot is making writing “painless” and, in particular, helping students focus their energies on what really matters in their writing assignments.
What You’ll Learn in This Episode:
● [01:26] What is “artificial intelligence” and what is not AI?
● [09:25] How AI is transforming the world today
● [18:10] Addressing AI skeptics
● [24:56] How AI is being applied in education
● [37:28] All about QuillBot
● [46:07] How QuillBot lightens students’ load
● “An AI system can pretty much understand its environment, and it’s completely tasks and actions to achieve a certain goal that it’s trained to do.”
● “If you don’t understand [AI], that’s one thing. But don’t not try to understand it and still reject some of these really, really important advances in the educational community, like taking mundane tasks such as grammar checking and automating that with AI.”
● “QuillBot was designed as an AI writing and research platform. The goal is to help make writing painless.”